FortiExplorer for iOS
FortiExplorer for iOS is a user-friendly application that helps you to quickly and easily configure, manage, and monitor
FortiGate appliances using an iOS device. FortiExplorer lets you rapidly provision, deploy, and monitor Security Fabric components including FortiGate, FortiWiFi, and FortiAP devices.
Advanced features are available with the purchase of FortiExplorer Pro. Paid features include the ability to add more than two devices and the ability to download firmware images from FortiCare.
Up to six members can use this app with ‘Family Sharing’ enabled in the App Store.
Getting started with FortiExplorer
If your FortiGate is accessible on the wireless network, you can connect to it using FortiExplorer provided that your iOS device is on the same network (see Connecting FortiExplorer to a FortiGate via WiFi). Otherwise, you will need to physically connect your iOS device to the FortiGate using a USB cable.
Connecting FortiExplorer to a FortiGate via USB
For the purpose of this document, we assume that you are just getting started; you do not have access to the FortiGate over the wireless network, and the FortiGate is in its factory configuration.
- Connect your iOS device to your FortiGate’s USB management port.If prompted on your iOS device, Trust this ‘computer’.
- Open the FortiExplorer app and select your FortiGate from the list under USB Attached Device.
- On the Login screen, select USB.
- Enter the default Username (admin) and leave the Password field blank.
- You can opt to Remember Password. Tap Done when you are ready.
- FortiExplorer opens the FortiGate management interface to the Device Status page:
- Go to Network > Interfaces and configure the WAN interface(s).In the example, the wan1 interface Address mode is set to DHCP by default. Set it to Manual and enter its Address, Netmask, and Default Gateway, and then Apply your changes.
- (Optional) Configure Administrative Access to allow HTTP and HTTPS This will allow administrators to access the FortiGate GUI using a web browser.
- Go to Network > Interfaces and configure the local network (internal) interface.Set the Address mode as before and configure Administrative Access if desired.
- Configure a DHCP Server for the internal network subnet.
- Return to the internal interface using the < button at the top of the screen.
- Go to Network > Static Routes and configure the static route to the gateway.
- Go to Policy & Objects > IPv4 Policy and edit the Internet access policy. As a best practice, provide a Name for the policy, enable the desired Security Profiles, and configure Logging Options. Select OK to finalize.
Running a Security Fabric Rating
The FortiGate is now configured in a very basic state. Once you’ve configured the other potential elements of your network, such as other Interfaces, Schedules, or Managed FortiAPs, it is recommended that you run a Security Fabric Rating to identify potential vulnerabilities and highlight best practices that could be used to improve your network’s overall security and performance.
Go to Security Fabric > Security Rating and follow the steps to determine a Security Score for the selected device (s). The results should identify issues ranging from Medium to Critical importance, and may provide recommended actions where possible.
Connecting FortiExplorer to a FortiGate via WiFi
If your FortiGate is accessible on the wireless network, you can connect to it using FortiExplorer provided that your iOS device is on the same network. Assuming this is the case:
- Open the FortiExplorer app and select Add from the Devices
- Enter the Host information and appropriate Username and Password If necessary, change the default Port number, and opt to Remember Password.
- If the FortiGate device identity cannot be verified, click Connect at the prompt. FortiExplorer opens the FortiGate management interface to the Device Status
Upgrading to FortiExplorer Pro
Paid features provided with the purchase of FortiExplorer Pro include the ability to add more than two devices and the ability to download firmware images from FortiCare.
To upgrade to FortiExplorer Pro, open the FortiExplorer app, go to Settings and select Upgrade to FortiExplorer Pro. Follow the on-screen prompts.
Having trouble configuring your Fortinet hardware or have some questions you need answered? Check Out The Fortinet Guru Youtube Channel! Want someone else to deal with it for you? Get some consulting from Fortinet GURU!
Don't Forget To visit the YouTube Channel for the latest Fortinet Training Videos and Question / Answer sessions!
- FortinetGuru YouTube Channel
- FortiSwitch Training Videos