Sending administrator alert notifications
When message floods are detected, the Carrier-enabled FortiGate unit can be configured to notify you immediately with an MMS message. Enable this feature by selecting Alert Notification in the message flood action. Each message flood threshold can be configured separately.
Configuring how and when to send alert notifications
You can configure different alert notifications for MM1 and MM4 message floods. You can configure the FortiOS Carrier unit to send these alert notifications using the MM1, MM3, MM4, or MM7 content interface. Each of these content interfaces requires alert notification settings that the FortiOS Carrier unit uses to communicate with a server using the selected content interface.
For the MM1 content interface you require:
- The hostname of the server l The URL of the server (usually “/”) l The server port (usually 80)
For the MM3 and MM4 content interfaces you require:
- The hostname of the server l The server port (usually 80) l The server user domain
For the MM7 content interface you require:
- The message type l REQ to send a notification message to the sender in the form of a submit request. The message goes from a VAS application to the MMSC.
- REQ to send a notification message to the sender in the form of a deliver request. The message goes from
the MMSC to a VAS application. l The hostname of the server l The URL of the server (usually “/”) l The server port (usually 80) l A user name and password to connect to the server l The value-added-service-provider (VASP) ID l The value-added-service (VAS) ID
For more information, see MMS notifications.
To configure administrator alert notifications – web-based manager
- Go to Firewall Objects > MMS Profile and edit or add a new MMS protection profile.
- Expand MMS Bulk Email Filtering Detection.
There are three message flood thresholds.
- Expand the threshold that you want to configure alert notification for.
- For Message Flood Action, select the Alert Notification check box. Alert notification options appear.
- For the Source MSISDN, enter the MSISDN from which the alert notification message will be sent.
- Select the Message Protocol the alert notification will use: MM1, MM3, MM4, or MM7.
- Add the information required by FortiOS Carrier to send messages using the selected message protocol:
- For Notifications Per Second Limit, enter the number of notifications to send per second.
Use this setting to reduce control the number of notifications sent by the FortiOS Carrier unit. If you enter zero (0), the notification rate is not limited.
- If required, change Window Start Time and Window Duration configure when the FortiOS Carrier unit sends alert notifications.
By default, notifications are sent at any time of the day. You can change the Window Start Time if you want to delay sending alert messages. You can also reduce the Window Duration if you want to stop sending alert notifications earlier.
For example, you might not want FortiOS Carrier sending notifications except during business hours. In this case the Window Start Time could be 9:00 and the Window Duration could be 8:00 hours.
You can set different alert notifications for each message threshold. For example, you could limit the message window for lower thresholds and set it to 24 hours for higher thresholds. This way administrators will only receive alert notifications outside of business hours for higher thresholds.
- For Day of Week, select the days of the week to send notifications.
For example, you may only want to send alert notifications on weekends for higher thresholds.
- In the Interval field, enter the maximum frequency that alert notification messages will be sent, in minutes or hours.
All alerts occurring during the interval will be included in a single alert notification message to reduce the number of alert messages that are sent.
Configuring who to send alert notifications to
In each MMS protection profile you add a list of recipient MSISDNs. For each of these MSISDNs you select the message flood threshold that triggers sending notifications to this MSISDN.
To configure the alert notification recipients – web-based manager
- Go to Firewall Objects > MMS Profile.
- Select the Edit icon of the MMS profile in which you want to configure the alert notification recipients.
- Expand MMS Bulk Email Filtering Detection.
- Expand Recipient MSISDN.
- Select Create New.
- In the New MSISDN window, enter the MSISDN to use for flood threshold alert notification.
- Select the duplicate thresholds at which to send alert notifications to the MSISDN.
For the flood threshold to be able to send an alert notification to the MSISDN, the alert notification action must be enabled and configured within the flood threshold.
Having trouble configuring your Fortinet hardware or have some questions you need answered? Check Out The Fortinet Guru Youtube Channel! Want someone else to deal with it for you? Get some consulting from Fortinet GURU!
Don't Forget To visit the YouTube Channel for the latest Fortinet Training Videos and Question / Answer sessions!
- FortinetGuru YouTube Channel
- FortiSwitch Training Videos