Interface monitoring (port monitoring)
Fortinet suggests the following practices related to interface monitoring (also called port monitoring):
- Wait until a cluster is up and running and all interfaces are connected before enabling interface monitoring. A monitored interface can easily become disconnected during initial setup and cause failovers to occur before the cluster is fully configured and tested.
- Monitor interfaces connected to networks that process high priority traffic so that the cluster maintains connections to these networks if a failure occurs.
- Avoid configuring interface monitoring for all interfaces.
- Supplement interface monitoring with remote link failover. Configure remote link failover to maintain packet flow if a link not directly connected to a cluster unit (for example, between a switch connected to a cluster interface and the network) fails. See Remote link failover.
Having trouble configuring your Fortinet hardware or have some questions you need answered? Check Out The Fortinet Guru Youtube Channel! Want someone else to deal with it for you? Get some consulting from Fortinet GURU!
Don't Forget To visit the YouTube Channel for the latest Fortinet Training Videos and Question / Answer sessions!
- FortinetGuru YouTube Channel
- FortiSwitch Training Videos