FortiClient can be installed on a standalone computer using the installation wizard or deployed to multiple Microsoft Windows systems by using Microsoft Active Directory (AD).
You can use FortiClient EMS to deply FortiClient to multiple Microsoft Windows systems. For information, see the FortiClient EMS Administration Guide.
This chapter contains the following sections:
l Install FortiClient on computers l Install FortiClient on infected systems l Install FortiClient as part of cloned disk images l Deploy FortiClient using Microsoft Active Directory servers
For information on customizing your FortiClient installation, see Custom FortiClient Installations.
Download FortiClient installation files
The FortiClient installation files can be downloaded from the following sites:
- Fortinet Customer Service & Support: https://support.fortinet.com
Requires a support account with a valid support contract. Download either the Microsoft Windows (32-bit/64bit) or the Mac OS X installation file.
- FortiClient homepage: forticlient.com
Download the FortiClient online installation file. The installer file performs a virus and malware scan of the target system prior to installing FortiClient.
- Fortinet Resource Center: http://www.fortinet.com/resource_center/product_downloads.html
Download the FortiClient online installation file. On this page you can download the latest version of FortiClient for Microsoft Windows and Mac OS X, and link to the iOS, and Android versions.
Install FortiClient on computers
The following section describes how to install FortiClient on a computer that is running a Microsoft Windows or Apple Mac operating system.
Microsoft Windows computer
The following instructions will guide you though the installation of FortiClient on a Microsoft Windows computer. For more information, see the FortiClient (Windows)Release Notes.
When installing FortiClient, it is recommended to use the FortiClientOnlineInstaller file. This file will launch the FortiClient Virus Cleaner which will scan the target system prior to installing the FortiClient application.
Install on computers
To check the digital signature of FortiClient, right-click on the installation file and select Properties. In this menu you can set file attributes, run the compatibility troubleshooter, view the digital signature and certificate, install the certificate, set file permissions, and view file details.
To install FortiClient (Windows):
- Double-click the FortiClient executable file. The Setup Wizard
When using the FortiClient Online Installer file, the FortiClient Virus Cleaner will run before launching the Setup Wizard.
If a virus is found that prevents the infected system from downloading the new FortiClient package, see Install FortiClient on infected systems on page 47.
- In the Welcome screen, read the license agreement, select the Yes, I have read and accept the license checkbox, and select Next to continue. The Choose Setup Type screen is displayed.
You can read the license agreement by clicking the License Agreement button. You have the option to print the EULA in this License Agreement screen.
- Select one of the following setup types:
l Complete: All Endpoint Security and VPN components will be installed. l VPN Only: Only VPN components (IPsec and SSL) will be installed.
Install FortiClient on computers
- Select Next to continue. The Destination Folder screen is displayed.
- Select Change to choose an alternate folder destination for installation.
- Select Next to continue.
FortiClient will search the target system for other installed antivirus software. If found, FortiClient will display the Conflicting Antivirus Software page. You can either exit the current installation and uninstall the antivirus software, disable the antivirus feature of the conflicting software, or continue with the installation with FortiClient real-time protection disabled.
This dialog box is displayed during a new installation of FortiClient and when upgrading from an older version of FortiClient, which does not have the antivirus feature installed.
It is recommended to uninstall the conflicting antivirus software before installing FortiClient or enabling the antivirus real-time protection feature. Alternatively, you can disable the antivirus feature of the conflicting software.
- Select Next to continue.
- Select Install to begin the installation.
- Select Finish to exit the FortiClient Setup Wizard.
On a new FortiClient installation, you do not need to reboot your system. When upgrading the FortiClient version, you must restart your system for the configuration changes made to FortiClient to take effect. Select Yes to restart your system now, or select No to manually restart later.
FortiClient will update signatures and components from the FortiGuard Distribution Network (FDN).
- FortiClient will attempt to connect FortiClient Telemetry to the FortiGate.
If the FortiGate cannot be located on the network, manually connect FortiClient Telemetry. See Connect FortiClient Telemetry manually on page 54.
- To launch FortiClient, double-click the desktop shortcut icon.
You can install FortiClient on a Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2, 2012, or 2012 R2 server. You can use the regular FortiClient Windows image for Server installations.
Please refer to the Microsoft knowledge base for caveats on installing antivirus software in a server environment. See the Microsoft Anti-Virus exclusion list: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/953.microsoft-anti-virusexclusion-list.aspx
Install on infected systems
Mac OS X computer
The following instructions will guide you though the installation of FortiClient on a Mac OS X computer. For more information, see the FortiClient (Mac OS X)Release Notes.
To install FortiClient (Mac OS X):
- Double-click the FortiClient .dmg installer file to launch the FortiClient installer. The FortiClient Installer will install FortiClient on your computer. Select Continue.
- Select the lock icon in the upper right corner to view certificate details.
- Read the Software License Agreement and select Continue. You have the option to print or save the Software Agreement in this window. You will be prompted to Agree with the terms of the license agreement.
- Select the destination folder for the installation.
- Select Install to perform a standard installation on this computer. You can change the install location from this screen.
- Depending on your system, you may be prompted to enter your system password.
- After the installation completes successfully, select Close to exit the installer.
- FortiClient has been saved to the Applications
- Double-click the FortiClient icon to launch the application. The application console loads to your desktop. Select the lock icon in the FortiClient console to make changes to the FortiClient configuration.
Install FortiClient on infected systems
The FortiClient installer always runs a quick antivirus scan on the target host system before proceeding with the complete installation. If the system is clean, installation proceeds as usual.
Any virus found during this step is quarantined before installation continues.
In case a virus on an infected system prevents downloading of the new FortiClient package, use the following process:
Install FortiClient as part of cloned disk images
- Boot into “safe mode with networking” (which is required for the FortiClient installer to download the latest signature packages from the Fortinet Distribution Network).
- Run the FortiClient installer.
This scans the entire file system. A log file is generated in the logs sub-directory. If a virus is found, it will be quarantined. When complete, reboot back into normal mode and run the FortiClient installer to complete the installation.
Microsoft Windows will not allow FortiClient installation to complete in safe mode. An error message will be generated. It is necessary to reboot back into normal mode to complete the installation.
Having trouble configuring your Fortinet hardware or have some questions you need answered? Ask your questions in the comments below!!! Want someone else to deal with it for you? Get some consulting from Fortinet GURU!